Tuesday, August 7, 2007

our little embryos....

danny and i have been married six years, so of course the next step in life, which began three years ago, is to have kids, right? well easier said than done. we just finished our first round of in-vitro, and for those of you that don't know much or anything about it i'm so happy for you. its quite the process both physically and emotionally. those experiencing infertility know exactly what i'm talking about. fortunately danny & i have so many great friends and family that have supported us through this journey -couldn't have made without them.
so the in-vitro process starts by first finding a great doctor. ours happened to be in Reno, of all places... then you get a huge box in the mail full of drugs, syringes, and the lovely needles! i definitely had a break down when i saw what i was really getting myself into - just a little over whelming. the worst part of this whole thing is the anticipation and thinking how much those damn needles are going to hurt. then you meet with your doctor and they explain how to mix your cocktail of drugs and map out your schedule for the month. when to start this, when to stop that, when it's time for another shot and so on. the shots aren't that bad; i only fainted once!! luckily danny was there to wake me up.
on july 24th we left for reno to begin our adventure. one of the shots made me produce tons of eggs, since normally you only have one or maybe two a month. the first couple of day were dedicated to monitor how big my follicles were getting, which estimates the maturity of the eggs that are inside. of course i happened to be two days behind so that gave us two more days in Reno. not happy about that... finally it was time to knock me out to do the egg retrieval. the doctor took 33 eggs out! am i freaking you all out yet!?!?! yeah, so then they put the spermies and eggs together and let the conception begin - it's a blind date! the next day they called us and told us we had 24 little embryos growing! crazy.. i'm still a little tripped out about the whole thing, its really amazing. the third day after the retieval is the transfer day. they told us we had 11 quality embryos and showed us pictures of the best three. we transfered two of them that day.
so here i am trying to relax at home and praying to get through the longest week of my life. we'll find out this weekend! i do have to say that nothing was as bad as i thought it was going to be. i'm a little bruised up from the shots but i'd do it all over again.
i'm staying very optimistic about it. i find myself role-playing how the phone call is going to go. ok...im not pregnant or i'm pregnant? that's going to be an intense phone call. i would prefer a text message instead.
i'll have to leave you all hanging until i find out. hopefully this is it! if not we're blessed to have so many frozen embryos waiting................

13 comments:

kelly said...

welcome to the world of blogging! i've so excited you've joined up!

i can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now. all i can say is i am so proud of you. you have been such a trooper through all of this. i am always so amazed at how optimistic you have been. you guys are going to be amazing parents. i know everything is going to work out for you. looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

Coll-coll said...

Oh...you did it! I am so happy you emailed your blog! I haven't been able to get you off my mind for 2 weeks now...Just remember regardless of the outcome it's the journey that makes you who YOU NEED to be...seriously though, we all want to know if its a pink/blue/or both bundle at the end of all this!!! You rock!

Kim Openshaw said...

Sister--I cried from the moment I saw the fist picture! We had so much fun with you this summer. What great memories we made. It was the highlight of our year. How did I get so blessed to have you as my sister and best friend?!?! I'm so proud of the steps you and Danny have taken to be parents. You're so brave, courageous, and faithful, I know the Lord will bless you with the desires of your heart. Hang in there this week! Lots of prayers going out to you from Texas!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have this page. I get to see pictures of you and Danny too. I can't believe how big the kids have gotten, so darling too. Your in my prayers and thoughts all the time. Love mom booth

Lynn said...

Those are probably some darn attractive embryos, that's for sure. Can't wait to see your baby(ies).

Thanks for sharing your experience, your writing is so entertaining, even through such a process!

mcnancy said...

Great Blog Daughter -- I love the way you write......and the pictures, of course! Your experience will encourage others facing the same situation. Dad and I have you in our hearts, thoughts and prayers always, but this week especially and are waiting for news along with you and Danny. You have a great attitude and much courage and faith. The fortunate spirit that comes to you and Danny. Love Always, Your Mom & Dad

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

Heidi! I am very excited for you...on another note, do you know it has been since LAST CHRISTMAS since you cut my hair! I mean, seriously, what the crap do I do with my hair. I really need you!

I am really happy for you!

miss you

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I'd like to ditto Lynn.

Heidi you are so brave and I am grateful that you are open to telling your story. You know that I take courage in your telling of it.

I wish for implantation.

And much more in the future.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for baby(ies)!

Jenny said...

heidi- i'm so glad you've got a blog! i was wondering about you just the other day. the invitro sounds so hard. good luck! i'll be thinking of you guys and you'll be in my prayers!

alysha said...

Heidi,

well, I guess I wish you well on everything, being a blogger, going through the process of trying to have a baby. I can only imagine. thank you for sharing your story.

it has been a long time since we have seen each other. In case you don't remember who I am, you can check out my blog.
brooklynbean.typepad.com

Cassie said...

As I was blog-hopping, I happened upon yours. I hope you don't mind my wishing you the best of luck with your IVF. My husband and I considered doing it about 3 years ago, but opted for the adoption route instead. After waiting about a year, we got a precious little bundle of busy busy love. All the best to you!

Sally F said...

I linked to your site through cjane's. I wish you the very best! We had five years of infertility (everything but IVF)--then adopted 3 years ago, and now we feel led to try IVF for baby #2. Thanks for the play by play. I'm glad they knocked you out for the egg retrieval. I've heard it's really bad if you're awake!

I'm wondering how you decided on the Reno doctor? We're moving to San Antonio in a couple months, so we're waiting to start the whole process until then.